Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dairy Free Pink Cupcakes

When we found out our then 15 month old was severely intolerant to milk protein, my first thought was - what do I feed her!?

 I found it hard to access information about substitutes for dairy that aren't chemical laden but are easily sourced and budget friendly. That's where this blog comes in. I've spent that last year and a half researching, cooking and baking and thought it would be great if I could put all my ideas on eating dairy free for a family (and as clean as possible), in one place.

Most of my food that I cook is eaten by our 7 month old, our 2 and a half year old and the 2 of us. It works for everyone, is easy and tastes better than butter!

Miss 2.5 asked for pink cakes today and being Valentines day tomorrow, I thought we could make some cute pink cupcakes for her Daddy to take to work. I took my old recipe that never fails and modified it to suit what I wanted.



Cupcakes -

1/2 cup coconut oil
3 eggs
3/4 cup of self raising flour (can sub rice flour and baking powder)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup raw caster sugar

Put everything in a bowl and mix till nice and fluffy - about 2 minutes. No need to cream the oil and sugar, everything goes in together. Spoon mixture into cupcakes cases and bake at 180 for 10 mins or until risen and springy to touch.

I wanted pink swirls, so I coloured half the mixture with Barkers Blackcurrant syrup and then spooned the pink on top of the original mix.

Icing -

1/4 cup coconut oil
2ish cups icing sugar coconut milk for thinning (soy,rice milk or water works just as well)
2 splashes of Barkers Blackcurrent syrup to colour and flavour.

Using an electric mixer, beat the coconut cream with a wee bit of the icing sugar till it's smooth. Slowly add the icing sugar until the mixture becomes a bit lumpy and can't take any more sugar. Add a teaspoon of milk until you reach your desired consistency, I played around with this. Once you have the texture you desire, pipe or spoon (easier!) the icing on the cupcakes and decorate any way you wish.

I think I might try a coconut and pineapple flavour next time....

2 comments:

  1. How many did it make. That is such a little amount of ingredients and I love one pot stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It made 12 good sized ones :) I love this recipe, just put the ingredients in the mixer and go! The chocolate ones are yummy too.

      Delete