Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Dairy Free Anzac Biscuits

The problem with being dairy free is that I miss the texture baking with butter gives you, the crunch and the chewiness just isn't right without it. I had been doing all my baking with dairy free spread but I'm not happy with all the chemicals that go in to it. I was doing some reading and coconut oil kept popping up again and again. I bought some and haven't regretted it since! It is a lot more expensive than butter or spread but I've weighed that up against the health aspect and it is something that I'm going to budget for. And the results are amazing! I had a craving for proper Anzac biscuits so decided to try them with the coconut oil - perfect! Crunchy, chewy and very good, so much so that they only lasted a day! I added a few extras to the mixture too.

Anzac Biscuits

1 cup Flour
1 cup caster sugar (I used raw caster sugar)
1 cup coconut
2 cups rolled oats
2 tablespoons golden syrup
125 grams coconut oil
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons boiling water
(I also added a good tablespoon of chia seeds)



Heat oven to 180C  Line a baking tray with baking paper. Place flour, caster sugar, coconut and oats (and seeds if using) in a bowl and stir to combine. 
Place coconut oil and golden syrup in a pot to melt. Dissolve the baking soda in boiling water. Add melted ingredients (I found the oil and water didn't mix too well but the end result was still good) and dissolved baking soda to dry ingredients and mix to combine.
Roll spoonfuls into balls and press onto prepared baking trays, allowing space for biscuits to spread while cooking and bake for 15 minutes until golden brown and firm. Place on a rack to cool.

1 comment:

  1. Great idea, Jess! if I end up going dairy free I may give this recipe a go :)

    ReplyDelete